- 2 cups frozen or fresh, pitted sour cherries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Bring cherries, sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Stir 1 tbsp. lemon juice and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk into the boiling cherry mixture.
- Return to a boil, stirring constantly. You don’t want this sauce to scorch on the bottom.
- Cook until the liquid has thickened, which should take about 1 more minute.
- Remove the pot from the heat and taste. You can also add a little extra sugar or lemon juice if needed at this point, depending on your personal preference.
Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature and serve over ice cream, pancakes, cheesecake, or cake.