- 1/2 cup (125ml) white vinegar
- 1/3 cup (180ml) water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 20 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound (225g) sour cherries, rinsed, stems clipped in half
- Bring vinegar, water and sugar to a boil, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Prick each cherry with a pin and drop them into the hot liquid.
- Pour the contents into a clean jar (I pour boiling water into it, or run it through the dishwasher, then let it dry first), cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
It’s best to let the cherries sit at least one week before serving.
They’ll keep in the refrigerator for at least one year.
Serve with meat or add to pickle tray.