Basic Fruit Leather Recipe
- 4 cups mixed berries (e.g. – raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey (you may need more if your berries are really sour)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the berries have popped and some of the liquid has evaporated.
- Pour the mixture into a blender, then carefully blend until smooth.
- Line 2 rimmed baking trays with parchment paper, then pour half of the fruit mixture through a fine mesh sieve and onto the first tray and half onto the second. Use a spatula to lightly spread the mixture evenly across the baking sheet, to about 1/8 inch thick.
- If you have a dehydrator with a fan in the back, these will only take about 3 hours on the high (150 degrees) setting. Without a fan, they’ll take about 8-10 hours on 150 degrees.
You will know they’re done when you touch them lightly with your finger and they are no longer sticky. If the edges get a little too brittle and dry, you can brush a tiny bit of water over it and will be good as new!