On behalf of the FruitShare Steering Committee, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your time and effort this harvest season. The volunteers worked hard picking fruit, sharing it with the community, carpooling with volunteers, lending us their equipment, driving around to check on fruit, volunteering at events, helping out at the tree plantings, and spreading the word about FruitShare in the community!
We donated 1,236 lbs of fruit to 8 agencies that distributed it to community members. It wasn’t a great year for apples, but pears, grapes and berries did well!
- 80% of all fruit picked was donated
- Shared high-quality fruits such as pears, concord grapes & cherries
- Planted 28 fruit trees and shrubs in Barrie
- Received several grants for the 2017 season (Trillium, TD FEF, Canada 150)
- Recruited many committed Harvest Heroes
- Made jams with harvested berries and donated to shelters
- Increased community partnership (social service agencies)
- Sparked urban agriculture activities through Let’s Get Growing event
- Increased membership in our umbrella group the Urban Pantry Project
Here is a photo album of this year’s successes.
Thank you to all the volunteers, tree owners, social service agencies, media, funders, donors, and supporters!